New producer statement forms
The Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ), the Association of Consulting Engineers New Zealand (ACENZ) and New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) recently issued three producer statement forms for use by their members. The forms relate to design, design review and construction monitoring.
The forms are:
- PS1 - Design
- PS2 - Design Review
- PS4 - Construction Review
Copies are available from: www.acenz.org.nz , www.ipenz.org.nz and www.nzia.co.nz
The Department believes producer statements can play an important part in the building consent and code compliance certificate process. There is value in having a signed statement about compliance from the professionals involved in design and/or construction.
However, producer statements must be used with discretion to be of value. Receiving a producer statement does not relieve a building consent authority of its obligations to satisfy itself on reasonable grounds that a design, when built, will comply with the Building Code, or that construction has followed the building consent(s). It is for the building consent authority to decide on the extent to which they rely on producer statements, according to the circumstances in each case. The complexity of the building and the competence of the designer or certifier are important considerations.
Building consent authorities may have their own producer statement forms, but we encourage them to promote the use of the IPENZ/ACENZ/NZIA documents for design, design review and construction review, because:
- co-branding of the forms by IPENZ, ACENZ and NZIA shows wide approval among designers
- the wording of the forms has been reviewed by the Department and BOINZ
- each form provides a building consent authority with a signed statement by a representative of the design firm (professional engineering or architectural) on the compliance of the design with the Building Code or the compliance of the construction with relevant building consent(s)
- the forms cover relevant topics in a way that should be acceptable to both designers and building officials
- signatories are required to indicate if they are Chartered Professional Engineers, Registered Architects, members of IPENZ or members of NZIA
- the adoption of these forms will promote consistency across the country.
The Department encourages building consent authorities to consider construction monitoring, preferably by the designer, and the submission of a construction review producer statement (PS4), as important steps in helping them decide if the building work complies with the building consent.