Skip to content.

Tenancy sorting out problems

There are several things that landlords and tenants can do to sort out any problems with tenancies.

Find out your rights and responsibilities under the law

The Residential Tenancies Act covers the legal rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants (including those in boarding houses).

The Act also provides a dispute resolution service by allowing for:

Try to avoid problems

Make sure you do things at every stage of the tenancy to avoid problems.

Try to resolve the problem yourself first

If you have a problem with your landlord/tenant, the first thing you should do is talk to them about it. The sooner you talk to your landlord or tenant about what’s wrong, the easier it can be to sort it out.

If you can’t resolve your problem this way, talk to our trained Tenancy Services staff. We can assist with advice and information to help you decide what to do next.

  • See Self-resolution for tips and contact information for support and assistance.

Got an agreement? Use our FastTrack Resolution if you need it formalised

If you do reach an agreement, it can be formalised by way of a Mediator’s Order using our FastTrack Resolution service.

No agreement? Consider mediation

Most disputes between tenants and landlords can be resolved by mediation. If you can’t resolve a dispute, our trained mediators can help you to settle the dispute.

  • See Mediation for more information on how to apply for mediation.

No agreement? Go to the Tenancy Tribunal

If the dispute isn’t resolved by mediation, you can have the matter referred to the Tenancy Tribunal.

If the mediator or Tribunal makes an order that the other party doesn’t meet, there are steps to take to enforce an order.

You may wish to view Tenancy Tribunal Orders online Link to the Ministry of Justice website. as another tool in your decision making process.

Housing New Zealand problems

You can appeal to the State Housing Appeal Authority if you’re not satisfied with Housing New Zealand’s review of your income related rent or your eligibility for a Housing New Zealand house.

More information

Dispute Resolution Toolkit – A guide on how to prevent or sort out tenancy problems.